Friday, December 19, 2008

Math Camp + Wednesday/Thursday

One happy Monday morning, I woke up. Unlike other poor people, I didn't have to face the daunting task of completing three more days of school. No, I was to complete nine days.
That afternoon, I arrived at Newman College. After some asking, I managed to find my apartment block and room, and was pleased to find that it had a roof. In fact, it also had a window, fridge, tap, wardrobe, closet, desk, and even a bed! Seriously though, it was an awesome room.
After about half an hour we recieved our timetable. Every two days had an exam, and every day contained nine hours of maths. Heaven...
Nine days later, I emerged from the training school with exam results of:
Number Theory - 9/35
Geometry - 2/35
Algebra - 0/35
Combinatorics - 11/35
AMO trial 10/28
The lectures were great, even though I couldn't understand what was happening half the time. But there was heaps of fun other stuff, like:

* Playing card games like Mafia, Mal, Bartog and 99
* Bagging David (even the lecturers joined in)
* Schnapps
* The hat game (Stacey's mum. Jensen's mum. Stacey's mum again. lol)
* Ross showing us cool tricks
* Math contest relay thingy at the end
* Getting caught outside the infamous 'Alfred's room' by Graham who was eavesdropping on us talking perhaps a bit too loudly
* Food. Awesome food there.
* Listening to everyone playing the piano, and feeling sorry for myself that I couldn't play
* Beating Phil on the combinatorics exam :) by one mark, but still...

Math Camp was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I actually want to do well on the AMO now so I can go to April Camp in Sydney.


When I got back on Wednesday I went straight to sleep.

Yesterday I slept in for until 11:00, Then played the flute for most of the day. Somehow I improved a lot over the nine days without practising.

I spent most of today making a new game, which can be downloaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1d955c4253f9e5168c9e7c56ba37815f9d41dc65ec994302
I cooked rice and eggs for lunch simultaneously and separately, and the eggs popped a lot and I ended up getting bits of friend egg in my otherwise perfect rice.
In the afternoon I rode to Ormond to buy a tournament board. On the way I was swooped by a magpie, so I promptly got off my bike and stared the magpie down. Then I walked my bike away, still being careful to keep the magpie glued to the spot. I managed to ride from McKinnon to Ormond station in 2 minutes 25 seconds, which is like faster than the train...

Current favourite song: 'Still Alive' from Portal

Comments and feedback are good. I think you can comment anonymously. Or, give feedback on msn.
Thanks for reading! And have a good holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who is Ross and Stacey's mum? Please be specific. Oh crap, I forgot to go to Wilson's Promontory.